to a web site dedicated to fostering a virtual community for the worldwide
users of the VISTA software!
At VistA's very core, represented by the shops on the left, you have
all the tools and materials you need to build an economical, efficient,
scaleable and integrated system. Add the VistA applications and you
have a complete healthcare system.
Are you interested, but new to VistA? Read about Hardhats,
VistA and DHCP. Do you already know a little about VistA
and want to learn more? Read on.
News and Recent Events
(most recent first)
- VistA is one of the oldest, still significant open source projects - ZDNET article places VistA in good company!
- VistA to go Open Source? - VA is investigating the potential to re-define the existing VistA and Electronic Health Record (EHR) software and associated architectures as part of an open source software development community. The project and contacts are explained in the official VA announcement.
- Medsphere.org Collaborative Site Launched - According to their website, "Medsphere.org is a community gathering place where healthcare
administrators, clinicians, developers and enthusiasts can interact,
share, and collaborate in the largest ecosystem in healthcare."
- WorldVistA EHRTM VOE/ 1.0 Available
Open Source EHR - WorldVistA announced the release and availability of
WorldVistA EHR VOE/ 1.0, the only open source EHR that meets Certification
Commission for Healthcare Information Technology (CCHIT) ambulatory
electronic health record (EHR) criteria for 2006. WorldVistA EHR VOE/
1.0is based on and compatible with the
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) world renowned EHR, VistA(R).
- 2007 WIRED News Rave Award - Congratulations to WorldVistA and Hardhats members, K.S. Bhaskar,
Joseph Dal Molin and Maury Pepper for receiving this award. This is an honor for WorldVistA and a tremendous boost for the VistA community.
According to the Rave site: "Recipients of the eighth annual Rave Awards will be announced in the
May issue of WIRED Magazine, on newsstands April 24, 2007 and on
wired.com the same day. Winners will be celebrated at the St. Regis
Hotel in San Francisco on April 27, 2007."
- VA Takes the Lead in Paperless Care - Computerized Medical Records Promise Lower Costs and Better Treatment (news article)
- VA Wins Harvard's Prestigious Innovations Award - "This Award is sponsored by the Ash Institute for Democratic Governance and Innovation at Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government and is administered in
partnership with the Council for Excellence in Government." (press release)
- Mailing List has moved - The Hardhats mailing list moved, in early August 2006, from SourceForge to Googlegroups. This was done to provide a more reliable service and members are finding that the browser interface, for those that choose to use it, is easier to navigate. For more on how to join the list, follow this link.
- VistA in the News - The media reported that the VA's top quality patient care can partly be attributed to their hospital information systems (we know it as VistA).
- VistA Demo- The VistA Demo, found at the http://www.va.gov/vista web site, can now be run on
your own machine. Send an email to Nancy Anthracite for instructions
about where to download it for use on a Windows machine with a demo version
for Caché™ from Intersystems. A version for use with Linux and GTM can be
found on the WorldVistA site at http://sourceforge.net/projects/worldvista.
- (more news....)
First, don't make the mistake of thinking VistA is an all or nothing
proposition. It is a very large collection of software and
only a portion of it may be relevant to your needs and that is okay.
One of the easiest ways to begin exploring VistA and its potential
for you, is to explore this web site. Another is to order
the media or go online to get every bit of VistA that can be released
to the public via the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Its
contents are readily accessed using your favorite browser.
Once you have a handle on what VistA is and how you might benefit
from it, feel free to ask questions on the Hardhats
mailing list. Hardhats is a user community that we hope you will
find surprisingly friendly and helpful.
Now start browsing....