Important Items to Note
Before beginning the extract process, consider each of the following
important facts about the Extract Tool:
- An extract activity is file-specific, not user-specific. Anyone with
access to the file and the Extract Tool options can complete or change an
existing extract activity.
- When the extracted data is moved to the
file, the source entries in the primary file are blocked from
- A Subfile cannot be extracted by itself. At least one field from
every Multiple level above the Subfile must also be extracted. If no
field is extracted at the next higher level, the .01 field at that level will
automatically be extracted.
- You may want to extract Identifiers and/or KEY fields from the source
file to the destination file, so that records in the
can be uniquely identified.
- An EXTRACT template is the only type of PRINT template that can be
used by the
Destination File option.
ACTIVITY file (#1.11) contains a brief history that describes who performed
the various extract activity steps and when the steps were
- The extract activity can be canceled at any time before the
Extracted Entries option is used.
Extracted Entries option deletes all of the source data in the primary file
from which you extracted data.
- Selected entries cannot be purged until they have been moved to the
- A second extract from a file cannot be performed until the active
extract activity has been completed, either by purging or canceling.
Reviewed/Updated: March 4, 2007